Wednesday, June 11, 2008

I am the Engineering Version of Costanza!

Here’s a classic example as to why my life is a series of bad sitcom moments:

As part of my new job, I have some expanded marketing duties. It doesn’t require much … mostly I’m just introducing the company to whoever will listen, or writing up submittals. In reality, the reason I’m doing that much is because I don’t have a lot of actual work to do right now.

Anyway, as part of these marketing duties, I participated in the local engineering society’s golf tournament. Good cause, raises scholarship money, day off from work … blah blah blah. The only reason I went to this thing was to at least meet one or two people who may be a decent contact in the future.

Actual reaction to EVERY swing I made!Don’t get me wrong – I like golf. I just can’t play. I’ve never had the time to learn (except for my one semester of golf in college), and I’m generally uncoordinated anyway. In reality, it’s pretty embarrassing for me to be on the course with anyone who’s even mildly decent. That didn’t matter, though; I needed to suck it up for the company.

When I get there, I find out my foursome is with three guys from CH2M Hill, a huge, multi-national firm. I figured these guys are probably a little out of our league, but they still could be some great resources in the future.

So we’re out playing. I’m about as awful as could be, but I’m enjoying myself nonetheless. The whole time, though, no one has brought up work. After about the 3rd or 4th hole, I decided to be proactive, and here’s how that went:
Perhaps I should have known, as this was their golf cart.
Me: “So, where exactly is your office located?

Dude #1: “No, no … we’re not with those guys.”

Me: “Really?”

Dude #1: “Yeah. We just know some guy over there, and we wanted to play. I guess they just wanted to have a good turnout.

That guy … he’s a pipe fitter. And my uncle and I are funeral directors.”

Pipe Fitter Guy: “You’re up!”

True, I didn’t make any worthwhile contacts at all; however, if you need some large-scale piping constructed, or if you’re dead, I know some guys!

Until next time,
The Jim

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That was a very strange experience. Reading your blogs are even stranger...

Unknown said...

You don't give yourself NEARLY enough credit. You are an engineer and you are marketing your services. I am sure you will be great at this. It is not like you are selling a product that requires you to talk someone into buying something you would not use yourself--like a pocket fisherman...oh yeah, you DID buy one of those.

Jim L. said...

I didn't buy a pocket fisherman. I was given one as a gift, and have treasured it as such.

(Of course, if I had ever thought about it, I WOULD have bought one - but that's beside the point.)