Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Olympic Review #1 - The Intro

She's a bad ass -- and you KNOW it! Several weeks ago, I found myself watching quite a lot of NCAA softball.

Don’t judge me! It’s a pretty slow time as far as sports and TV are concerned, and I still haven’t unpacked my PS2 from the move. Besides, my Aggies were doing well, so I had a rooting interest.

Anyway, the broadcasters noted that this was the last Olympics where softball and baseball will be played. They might come back, but it seems unlikely. As shocking as you may find this, this elimination was the result of a Frenchman who apparently felt that these two sports were overly dominated by Americans. (A Frenchman rudely mistreating Americans? Surely you jest.)

Now, it’s surprising that no one ever planned on banning hockey whenever the Soviet Union won it every time, and it’s OK to have badminton in there despite the fact that there’s only about 4 countries that really care about it. But if there’s a sport that Americans rule … well that has to go!! Has there ever been an Olympic committee chairman who wasn’t a slimy punk?
Jim with MS Paint 1 : Olympics 0 More to the point, though, is the fact that baseball and softball aren’t in the Olympics, but rhythmic gymnastics is. Are you kidding me? How is twirling a ribbon and jumping with a ball a sport? That’s an exhibition, not a sport. If I want to see some interpretive dance crap, I should be going to a theater, not a sporting venue.

THIS is a sport?  Seriously?!?!With that in mind, I’ve decided to review the Olympic sports and determine which should stay, and which should go. I’ll even review some other sports that may or may not need to be added. Considering the Olympic Committee gives out about a million medals, this will take a while.

So keep your eyes open for Part 2 of this exciting story, where we’ll begin with all things aquatic!

Until next time,
The Jim

3 comments:

catcounts said...

beer pong... just a thought!

Unknown said...

I like the idea of beer pong:-) I must admit, I cannot stand the olympics. Do they still have that offer where you can pay to see them all live? I remember Lauren used to get that and record all of the gymnastics (this was probably pre-rhythmic).

Jim L. said...

How dare you share disdain for the Olympics? Anything that combines sports and jingoism is the ballinest thing you can have!

As far as the coverage, I'm sure they have some sort of On Demand package. Between NBC, MSNBC, USA, and any other networks G.E. owns, I imagine I'll get all the coverage we can stand.