Monday, September 15, 2008

Nothing but Peace and Tranquility

Me at work (if I was a Guatemalan police officer).As I’ve mentioned multiple times, my current job is a small satellite office here in the Dallas area. The company’s headquarters is back in northwest Louisiana. Back at the home office, they have their own relatively new building, and every engineer has his own office. Over here, I’m stuck in a single room on the first floor of a bank building. Did I mention it’s only 300 sf? Did I mention we’re across the hall from an employment agency, so I get endless interruptions from loud conglomerations of people outside? Oh, and did I mention I share the room with someone else?

I wish they were this quiet!On our best day over here, the office is uncomfortable. Now they’re renovating the building. Wait, let me correct that … they’re renovating 95% of the building. Our little closet is one of the rooms they won’t fix up. So, instead of being temporarily relocated to another office while all of this is going on, we get to stay in this hovel while a non-stop cacophony of hammers, saws, and other peaceful tunes goes on and on.

If you need to go to the bathroom, time to hit the elevator. If you need to be on the phone, better hope the electrician isn’t in here trying to get the wiring straight EVEN THOUGH IT’S COMPLETELY OBVIOUS I’M TRYING TO MAKE A CALL AND HE DOESN’T NEED TO YELL.

I only bring this up just to let you know that, unless you work in a war zone or a toxic waste dump, your work environment is definitely better than mine.

I win! Yay for me!

Until next time,
The Jim

No comments: