Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Timing is Everything

As recently discussed, I have no money. That's not to imply that I'm actually at the poverty line; however, between having just one income, growing debt, and rather significant tuition expenses, we're definitely sending more money out then we're bringing in. True, this strategy does seem to be acceptable for large governments and major financial institutions, but it doesn't tend to be a feasible long-term strategy for individuals.

Of course, we're not looking long-term right now. We're just trying to get through nursing school until Mrs The Jim (AKA My Future Retirement Plan) starts making bank. I believe my exact statement regarding this mindset was "... we're just standing pat and hoping nothing falls apart."

(Anyone who knows anything about me should, by this point, know where this is going.)

Friday, Mrs. The Jim and I spent the afternoon looking at decorating items for the house. (I only work until 11:30 on Friday.) Our purchases were pretty much limited to the Dollar Store, which I felt was within our budget. I also decided to splurge and spend $100 on a cheap, particle-board entertainment center from Wal-Mart, so that we could finally set up our TV and surround sound in the living room. This $100 piece of Wal-Mart sawdust was intended to be our "major purchase" for the next 9 months or so.

During our travails around town, there were some major wind gusts, which I'm starting to learn are rather frequent in the North Texas area. I didn't think much about it until I got home, let the dog into the back yard, and noticed the following:

When I look at this, all I see are little dollar bills with wings flying away!
Do you think the damage is noticeable?
I've been told my insurance doesn't cover this at all (something I already knew), although they are sending an adjuster out to look for any other wind damage (such as the roof). I've talked to the owner next door, and it doesn't sound like she's going to give me any hassle about splitting the costs of the repairs. (Of course, I'll feel easier about that whenever the bill gets paid.) I don't really know how expensive this is going to be, but I've got a handyman coming out to give me an estimate. True, I could probably do some of this myself, but it's almost impossible to build a fence on your own, and I don't have a lot of ready access to carpenter-type buddies to help.

Regardless, this just means we'll have to dip into our all-too-meager savings. That's OK, though ... I'm sure nothing else could possibly go wrong with the house.

...

...

(...waits patiently for someone to call about the hot water heater exploding as the front yard bursts into flames ...)

Until next time,
The Jim

1 comment:

Brian said...

The wooden posts are still standing. You can buy premade fence sections at home depot rather cheaply. If your neighbor splits the cost with you, you shouldn't have to pay much more than a couple of hundred dollars.

Sadly, I speak from experience. Twice.