Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Look at me! I'm Networking!

I just thought I'd give everyone a little update on things.

Subtlety is for losers!Item #1 (Will Work for ... Well, Lots & Lots of Money, Actually!): First of all, I had my meeting/interview on Thursday, and I managed not to look too foolish. This wasn't a real interview, as this company doesn't have a job available right now. Rather, this was an attempt by me to network through the alma mater's alumni base to see if these guys knew of anyone who would hire me.

So far, nothing ... but these guys did seem pretty genuine in their desire to help look around and pass along my résumé to folks of importance. They also indicated that their company is about to get a lot of highway work, and may, in fact, need to bring in another engineer to handle the workload. If that's the case, I may already have a leg up.

On Saturday, I received an e-mail from another possible contact. I had talked to my last employer back in the Bayou State, and he told me that he had sold his company to a firm that has a Dallas office. E-mails and résumés were transferred around, and the manager of the Dallas branch said he would call me this week after he returns from a business trip.

I also just got off the phone with someone at HR from a third company. As I'm driving out of town towards Austin for the ACL Festival next week, I'll have to stop in at their office for an interview. I still don't know what the job would be or with whom I'm meeting, but I guess it's a good sign in any case.

Computer Tip #207: Never put the word POOP into Google Image's search.  Your brain can't unsee certain images!Item #2 (Poor Performance): After I posted my last column, I made the realization that it's not easy to write something slightly coherent and somewhat entertaining when you haven't done so for a while. That was POOP! Even I didn't want to read it, and I usually think quite highly of myself. I can only imagine how dull and uninteresting that was for the average consumer.

As pointless as most of my ramblings are, I had gotten into a regular flow and schedule. Hell, it took me forever to write this crap, and there's NOTHING in here but my Job Search Diary. It's funny how lazy and worthless I can become when given the opportunity.

Anyway, I hope that I can get back into a regular rhythm of posting, so I can reattain my previous level of moderate semi-competency.

Item #3 (Better Really, Really Late Than Never): As everyone may recall, I held an incredibly sad contest to drum up readership. Even though subscribers grew by a mind-blowing 0.0%, I still promised to create individualized artwork for all current subscribers. Well, everyone will be happy to know that I've finally started working on them a mere 2+ months after the fact.

Yes, I'm sketching out comics panels and cutting out construction paper. It's a weird little crafting workshop over here.

Well, that's about it. I'll keep everyone posted on my progress on the job search, and I'll also finally get around to discussing some more wacky adventures (including mind-altering photographic evidence.)

Until next time,
The Jim

No comments: