Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Almost as Good as The Fighting Okra

I was driving back from lunch today, and I passed the little junior college (Richland College) that's right by my office. I had some time to kill, and decided to drive onto campus to take a look at all the construction I've seen lately. The school and construction ended up being of no interest; however, I discovered something quite exciting!

Apparently, this juco has an athletic program. They didn't, however, want to be dull and call themselves the Tigers, Wildcats, Bulldogs, or any other repetitive moniker. So, they came up with perhaps one of the top 10 college mascots I've managed to uncover.

Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you ...
















The Richland College


Thunderduck!

I have never seen anyone calmer while wielding a lightning bolt.  Zeus would be proud.
What's a Thunderduck, you ask? Well, this site tries to boil it down for you. Two things of note:
  1. The mascot's full, legal name is R. Möbius Thunderduck, which is likely the only mascot named after a German mathematician and theoretical astronomer; and

  2. The site notes that the word "Thunder" can "be added to almost [any] part of speech to enhance or increase its worth". I didn't realize it before, but they are ABSOLUTELY RIGHT!! I mean, tell me which is cooler:
Cats

THIS is the reason I don't like cats!or

Thundercats?

Does Tygra really deserve to be on the front row?  I think not!
Fight on, proud Richland! Fight on!

Until next time,
The Jim


P.S. Stay tuned, as I'm planning a special cross-promotion, a reader contest, and my 2008 holiday in review. That's right, I'm gettin' wild in 2009, Sucka Dog!

No comments: