Thursday, July 3, 2008

Yet Another Business Success

As I’ve mentioned previously, my new job requires me to take on some marketing responsibilities. This is unfortunate, as I have zero marketing training and little aptitude for it. It’s OK, though - I also know nothing about the new market I’m in, so it all balances out.

Our business often requires us to work for architecture firms. Given that fact, I’ve been tasked with making contact with some of the local firms to start putting our name out there. I had met with a local guy, and while he didn’t have any work for us, he still seemed promising as a contact. At that time, he suggested another firm in a neighboring town, so I scheduled a meeting at their office.

I put the address into the GPS and headed over. I got to the town, but then the computer started leading me further and further out. Eventually, I came to a little country road with a couple of country houses and NOTHING else around it. Surely, I thought, I’ve gone to the wrong address. I start freaking out, assuming I’m going to be late for my meeting, and then...

... I notice the sign on the house in the corner. It’s small – certainly can’t be read from the road – but I had a sneaking suspicion. I pull into the driveway (also known as the strip of gravel), and sure enough, I’ve found the place.

All that was missing was a coon hound on the front porch!
OK, maybe it wasn’t quite that bad, but it’s not a good sign when you can’t figure out which screen door to open! Turns out it’s a three-man shop plus a receptionist (i.e., one of the employee’s mother) which does both small projects and really small projects. Needless to say, I don’t expect any multi-million dollar projects out of this one.

So, to sum up, I’ve managed to find a pipe fitter, two funeral directors, and the world’s most podunk architecture firm. If I had to hazard a guess, I’ll bet my next marketing contact will be this guy:

Want money now?  Ask me how!
Until next time,
The Jim

No comments: