Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Arlington Revisited

First of all, a little reminder out there for my peeps: please make sure, if you haven't already, to sign up for the Mailing List. Also, go ahead and contact me over at PollutionMachine[at]gmail[dot]com and let me know what you'd like to see over here, and what theme you'd like for your art project..

And, if you're so inclined, make sure to tell your friends, neighbors, and any random hobos about the ongoing Crappy Art-A-Thon. Of course, contacting your friendly neighborhood hobo may not be particularly productive, unless your town has one of those WiFi-Compatable Hobos.




Last week, I had to go to Arlington for work. This gave me a chance to revisit A-Town, so I thought I'd provide some additional thoughts above and beyond my last trip.

I had previously mentioned that Arlington is the home of the new Cowboys Stadium, a massive, super-expensive facility that will likely be the most state-of-the-art sporting venue for the next 15 years or so. I had driven near the stadium a number of times. From a distance, it just looks like any other stadium. The work assignment, however, had me quite close to the place, and I was blown away!

Here's a pic I took, which doesn't do it justice at all.

I'm sorry ... I believe I ordered the LARGE stadium!
(Click above to truly marvel in the stadium-sized goodness!)

First of all, it just looks awesome. While you can't get a sense of scale from that picture, I think it certainly displays how sleek, modern, and almost spaceship-like the thing is. As soon as I drove up to it, I immediately started to make some calls. I've got an inside source (husband-to-the-friend-of-the-wife) that was involved in the engineering on that job, and I'm hoping to get a tour of the place before it's completely finished.

Normally, that would be enough to make my day; however, even better aesthetic greatness awaited me. As is well documented, I have a strong appreciation for gaudy lawn sculptures. Well, what should I see as I'm strolling around but ...

Good thing they've got that fenced up, or I'd be rolling around with a new eagle, my friends.
That, my friends, is a concrete eagle. No, it's not particularly imposing or really even that gaudy. I mean, it's not like these people coupled that with a fake Venus de Milo on the other side of their yard.
Maybe that's the REAL statue, and the one in the Louvre is the fake.  Wow!  I just blew your mind, huh?
Oh, well that's MUCH better! As one can tell from that blurry blow-up picture, that really classed up the joint. As far as I'm concerned, it's like I'm back at the British Museum.

All in all, it was a nice day. I was walking through some neighborhood taking pictures of roads. True, it wasn't the greatest area in the world, but I certainly didn't see any reason to be worried.

We're just watching gang members, as opposed to arresting them.  I mean, that could get dangerous, right?
Except for that!

Nice to know my job affords me the opportunity to travel stroll along through areas that are so warm and inviting that they actually had to invent a road sign to warn people about the gangs. While I'm at it, maybe I should just write back to Sgt. Dillon and see if I can work with him over in Iraq.

So, in summary, Arlington has a kick-ass stadium, crappy art ornaments, and gang-infested neighborhoods. Hmm ... maybe they should put that sentence on their Chamber of Commerce literature.

Until next time,
The Jim

3 comments:

Brian said...

I can't tell from this angle of the stadium, but where do I dock my flying car?

The Jim said...

Flying Car? FLYING CAR?

Away with you and your primitive Chesapeake Bay ways!

Here in the home of America's Team, we only travel by teleporter and giant tubes. But be warned, the tubes tend to get clogged from time to time, as we are a large people.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.